Text size [-] [+]
ProKeys Sono Windows XP* Installation Instructions
Do not connect the ProKeys Sono 61 or ProKeys Sono 88 to your computer yet! The driver installer should be run first!
1. Download the latest ProKeys Sono driver from the M-Audio driver download page and save it to your Desktop.
If this is the first time you've installed a ProKeys Sono driver on your computer, please skip the uninstallation instructions and go to step 3 of this guide.
If an M-Audio ProKeys Sono driver is currently installed on your system, it will need to be removed before a new driver can be installed. In this case, launching the installer file should bring you to the screen shown below. Click "Next".
2. Once this process is complete, you will be informed that the product has successfully been uninstalled. Click "Finish" to close this application.
3. Double-click the downloaded driver installation file (again), and the following window will open:
4. Click "Next". The License Agreement window will appear (see below):
5. Once you've reviewed the licensing agreement, click the radio button next to "I accept the terms of the license agreement", then click "Next" to continue and "Install" in the window that opens after this.
6. At various points in this installation process, you may be notified that the driver being installed has not passed Windows Logo Testing. Always click “Continue Anyway” to proceed with the installation.
7. The installer will inform you that the ProKeys Sono was installed successfully. Click "Finish".
8. Connect the ProKeys Sono to an available USB port on your computer.
9. Shortly after connecting the ProKeys Sono, it will display a “Found New Hardware” window.
If you have Service Pack 2 installed on your computer (which is required for most recent drivers), you will be asked if you want to search the Internet for a driver. Select “No, not this time” and press “Next”. You will then see the screen below:
10. "Install the software automatically" is already checked. Leave this selection where it is and click "Next". The driver files will now be copied to your computer. Again, click "Continue Anyway" whenever you see a "Windows Logo Testing" message during this installation.
11. Click "Finish" when you see the following screen:
12. Connect the output of your ProKeys Sono to your speakers, mixer, or other amplification device so you can hear the output of the device.
13. Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a small "M-Audio" icon will be visible in your system tray. Right-click this icon to open the ProKeys Sono control panel.
The ProKeys Sono control panel can also be accessed from the Windows Control Panel when Classic View is enabled:
If the Control Panel is in Category View, click Switch to Classic View on the left-hand side.
14. Launch the ProKeys Sono control panel. If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, it will open without problems and will show “connected”; and the ProKeys Sono is ready to serve as an audio Interface for your computer and recording software.
Note: The ProKeys Sono 61 was used in the creation of this guide; the installation process is identical for the ProKeys Sono 88.
* Home and Professional Edition only. Windows Media Center Edition is not currently supported.