Text size [-] [+]
Venom - Firmware Update Instructions for Mac OS X
December 13, 2011 - Venom Firmware version 1.15.4
There is a new firmware update available for the new M-Audio Venom Synthesizer. This update includes numerous fixes and improvements, including:
- Fixed: Mac control panel hangs when power cycled on Venom when running on 10.7.1.
- Fixed: Mac Control panel does not report sound ROM version properly.
- Fixed: Driver causing audio performance issues on Mac.
- MIDI Sync Improved – Previously, Venom spent too much time processing and re-processing incoming MIDI clocks. Now Venom responds to timing information immediately..
- Mac Driver Latency Reporting Fixed – Previously, reported latencies from Mac-based DAWs were inconsistent. Now the driver consistently reports correct latency values to the DAWs. It is up to the individual DAW to calculate additional latency times within the application.
- Encoder Response Improved – Performance Control knob turns are smoother, while actually optimizing and reducing the density of MIDI controller messages sent.
- MIDI Messages – Improved several issues related to communicating with the Vyzex Venom sound editor software.
The M-Audio Venom Updater installs the latest Venom firmware (version 1.15.4) and is included in the download with the Venom Driver 1.8.7 for Mac OS X. You can view your Venom's current firmware version on the About page of the Venom Control Panel. The M-Audio Venom Updater will determine if your Venom has the latest firmware installed, and will perform an update if necessary. Before running the Venom Updater, install the Venom driver as described in this guide.
Important Note: If you have stored custom sounds in your user bank, please back them up with Vyzex Venom editor software before running the M-Audio Venom Updater, as the updater must erase user memory.
Follow these steps to Update the Venom Firmware:
1. Download the M-Audio Venom driver 1.8.5 for Mac OS X from the M-Audio driver download site and save it to your desktop.
2. The file you are downloading is in "Disk Image" (extension "dmg") format. This means that once the download is complete, your Mac should automatically launch the file and create a virtual drive on your desktop - you will now see two new icons on the Desktop.
Immediately after this, a finder window will automatically open and show you the icons below:
(if this window did not open automatically, double-click the downloaded Disk Image file)
3. With the Venom connected and powered on, double-click "M-Audio Venom Updater"
If your Venom has the latest firmware the Updater Status will indicate "No update needed. Click Quit to exit." Click Quit.
Otherwise, the Updater Status will indicate "Ready to update. Click Update to proceed." Click Update.
4. Carefully read the information on the following pop-up. Note that the update can take up to 5 minutes to complete. DO NOT disconnect or turn off your Venom keyboard during the update process, as this may damage your Venom keyboard!
5. Click Update to update the firmware on your Venom.
6. The update can take up to 5 minutes to complete. A progress bar tracks the status of the update. DO NOT disconnect or turn off your Venom keyboard during the update process, as this may damage your Venom keyboard!
7. When complete the following window will appear. To complete the firmware update process you MUST perform a Full Reset of your Venom.
To reset your Venom:
- Turn off your Venom.
- While holding down the Venom's [Multi] and [Single] buttons, turn on your Venom.
- Continue to hold down the [Multi] and [Single] buttons until "Full REset" appears on the Venom screen. The "Full Reset" will take several seconds to complete
8. Click Quit and the 1.15.4 firmware update on your Venom is now complete.