Text size [-] [+]
Audiophile USB Installation Instructions for Windows XP*
Do not connect the Audiophile USB to your computer yet! The driver installer should be run first!
As an extra level of precaution, we suggest deleting the contents of your Windows Temp folder before installing this driver. We have a brief tutorial available on how to do this.
If this is the first time you are installing the Audiophile USB on your computer, please skip the uninstallation instructions and go to step 3 of this guide.
1. If an Audiophile USB driver is currently installed on your system, it will need to be removed before a new driver can be installed. Please click "Start | All Programs | M-Audio Audiophile USB | Uninstall Audiophile USB" and follow the instructions on screen.
2. Once "Uninstall Complete" is displayed, click "Close".
3. Download the latest Audiophile USB driver from the M-audio driver download page and save it to your Desktop. Double-click the downloaded driver installation file. The following screen will be displayed:
4. Click "Next". The License Agreement window will appear (see below):
5. Once you've reviewed the licensing agreement, click the radio button next to "I accept the terms of the license agreement", then click "Next" to continue and "Install" in the window that opens after this.
6. At various points in this installation process, you may be notified that the driver being installed has not passed Windows Logo Testing. Always click “Continue Anyway” to proceed with the installation.
7. Click "Finish" in the last screen of the driver installation program.
8. Connect the Audiophile USB to an available USB port on your computer.
9. Shortly after connecting the Audiophile USB, it will display a “Found New Hardware” window.
If you have Service Pack 2 installed on your computer (which is required for most recent drivers), you will be asked if you want to search the Internet for a driver. Select “No, not this time” and press “Next”. You will then see the screen below:
10. "Install the software automatically" is already checked. Leave this selection where it is and click "Next". The driver files will now be copied to your computer. Again, click "Continue Anyway" whenever you see a "Windows Logo Testing" message during this installation.
11. Click "Finish" when you see the following screen:
12. Another "Found New Hardware" window may open. Repeat steps 9-11. This completes the driver installation.
13. Connect the outputs of your Audiophile USB to your speakers, mixer, or other amplification device so you can hear the output of the device.
14. Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a small “M-Audio” icon will be visible in your system tray (shown below). Right-click this icon to open the Audiophile USB control panel. If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, it will open without problems.
The Audiophile USB control panel can also be accessed from the Windows Control Panel when Classic View is enabled:
If the Control Panel is in Category View, click Switch to Classic View on the left-hand side.
15. Launch the Audiophile USB control panel. If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, it will open without problems and will show “connected”; and the Audiophile USB is ready to serve as an audio Interface for your computer and recording software.
16. In the rare event that the control panel shows “not connected” after carefully following the steps above, this may be due to a more complex system resource conflict. In these situations, we recommend you contact M-Audio Support for further assistance.
* Home and Professional Edition only. Windows Media Center Edition is not currently supported.