Text size [-] [+]
ProKeys Sono Mac OS X Installation Instructions
The ProKeys Sono 61 & 88 key keyboards are Class-Compliant devices, which means that no driver is required to use it under Mac OS X. Just connect the ProKeys Sono 61 or 88 to an available USB port on your Mac and enjoy. The available M-Audio driver is only needed if you intend to use the ProKeys Sono with Pro Tools M-Powered.
Do not connect the ProKeys Sono to your computer yet! The driver installer should be run first!
1. Download the latest M-Audio ProKeys Sono driver for Mac OS X from the M-Audio driver download site and save it to your desktop.
2. The file you are downloading is in "Disk Image" (extension ".dmg") format. This means that once the download is complete, your Mac should automatically launch the file and create a virtual drive on your desktop - you will now see two new icons on the Desktop.
Immediately after this, a finder window will automatically open and show you the two icons below:
(If this Window did not open automatically, double-click on the downloaded Disk Image file).
3. If this is the first time you're installing a ProKeys Sono driver on your system, please skip to step 7 of this guide now. If an M-Audio ProKeys Sono driver was previously installed on your system, it has to be removed before you can successfully install the new driver. Please double-click "M-Audio ProKeys Sono Uninstaller" and follow the instructions on screen.
4. Click "Uninstall". A message will pop up informing you that "Following uninstallation, it will be necessary to restart", click "Proceed." When prompted, enter your Apple OS X Administrator Name and Password to continue with the driver removal.
5. Click "Restart" to complete the driver removal.
6. After your computer is fully restarted, double-click on the downloaded Disk Image (.dmg) file. This will bring you back to the contents of the virtual drive and show you the same two icons (M-Audio ProKeys.pkg/uninstall) displayed above.
7. Double-click the file named “M-Audio ProKeys Sono.pkg”. The driver installer will launch. Click "Continue" on the pop-up:
Then click "Continue" on the first page of the installer.
8. The next screen will give important information about the driver you are installing. Click "Continue".
9. Carefully read the license agreement, then click "Continue".
10. Click on the "Agree" button to continue.
11. Click "Install" - the driver files will be copied to your computer.
12. You will have to enter your Administrator name and password. Click "OK" once your done.
13. A message will appear informing you that the computer needs to be restarted at the end of this installation. Click "Continue Installation".
14. The installer instructs you to "Click Restart to finish installing the software". Click "Restart".
15. Don't connect the ProKeys Sono to your computer while it is shutting down. Wait until your computer is in the process of starting up, then you can connect your ProKeys Sono to an available USB port on your computer. Alternatively, you can wait until the computer is fully started and connect the ProKeys Sono then.
IMPORTANT: Connect the ProKeys Sono directly to your computer! Do not use a USB hub or USB port on your Apple Keyboard.
Your ProKeys Sono is now ready to be used.
16. Connect the analog output of your M-Audio ProKeys Sono to your speakers, mixer, or other amplification device so you can hear the output of the interface.
Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a new "M-Audio ProKeys Sono" icon is placed in System Preferences. Click this icon to launch the ProKeys Sono control panel.
If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, "device connected" will be displayed on the bottom of the ProKeys Sono control panel.
Note: The ProKeys Sono 61 was used in the creation of this guide; the installation process is identical for the ProKeys Sono 88.