Text size [-] [+]
JamLab OS X Installation Instructions
Do not connect the JamLab to your computer yet! The driver installer should be run first.
1. Download the latest M-Audio JamLab driver for Mac OS X from the M-Audio driver download page and save it to your desktop.
2. The file you are downloading is in "Disk Image" (extension "dmg") format. This means that once the download is complete, your Mac should automatically launch the file and create a virtual drive on your desktop - you will now see two new icons on the Desktop.
Immediately after this, a finder window will automatically open and show you the two icons below:
(If this Window did not open automatically, double-click on the downloaded Disk Image file).
3. If this is the first time you've installed an M-Audio JamLab driver on your system, please skip to step 6 of this guide now. If an M-Audio JamLab driver was previously installed on your system, it has to be removed before you can successfully install the new driver. Please double-click "M-Audio JamLab Uninstaller" and follow the instructions on screen.
4. When prompted, enter your administrator name and password to continue with the driver removal.
5. Restart your computer to complete this driver removal.
6. After your computer is fully restarted, double-click on the downloaded Disk Image (dmg) file. This will bring you back to the contents of the virtual drive and show you the same two icons (M-Audio JamLab.pkg/Uninstall) displayed above.
7. Double-click the file named "M-Audio JamLab.pkg". The driver installer will launch. Click "Continue"
8. Click "Continue" again and the License Agreement Window will appear (see below):
9. Carefully read the license agreement, then click "Continue".
10. Click on the "Agree" button to continue.
11. Select the hard drive you want to install the driver to. A green arrow will appear over the selected hard drive. Then click "Continue".
12. Click "Install" - the driver files will be copied to your computer. .
13. You will have to enter your Administrator name and password. Click OK once your done.
14. A message will appear informing you that the computer needs to be restarted at the end of this installation. Click "Continue Installation".
15. The installer tells you to "Click Restart to finish installing the software". Click "Restart".
16. Don't connect the JamLab to your computer while it is shutting down. Wait until your computer is in the process of starting up, then you can connect your JamLab to an available USB port on your computer. Alternatively, you can wait until the computer is fully started and connect the JamLab then.
IMPORTANT: Connect the JamLab directly to your computer! Do not use a USB hub or USB port on your Apple Keyboard.
Your JamLab is now ready to be used.
17. Connect the output of your M-Audio JamLab to your speakers, mixer, or other amplification device so you can hear the output of the device.
Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a new "M-Audio JamLab" icon is placed in System Preferences. Click this icon to launch your JamLab's control panel. If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, "A device is connected" will be displayed on the bottom of the JamLab control panel.
The JamLab Quick Start Guide neglects to mention that in order to hear yourself play, you must have software (such as GT Player Express that's included free with the JamLab) open to route the JamLab's input through to its output. Refer to page 5 of the JamLab User Guide for detailed instructions on configuring and getting started with GT Player Express.