Text size [-] [+]
*UPDATE* This guide is also now available as a video tutorial. Check it out!
Q: I installed the drivers for my M-Audio USB sound card, connected it to the computer, and received a message indicating that the drivers were installed successfully and that the device was ready to use; however, when I launch the control panel for my device it shows "not connected".
A: The Black Box, Fast Track USB, Fast Track Pro, MobilePre USB, Micro, Producer USB, KeyStudio 49i, Conectiv, and Xponent are all class-compliant devices; they can operate with basic functionality under Windows XP without the M-Audio driver. In some instances, Windows will load the Microsoft-class driver instead of the M-Audio drivers. In these cases, you should manually update the driver for your device from the Device Manager.
Manually Updating a Driver
A Fast Track Pro was used in this example, but the procedure is identical for all devices mentioned above.
1. With your M-Audio device connected to your computer and powered on, open the Device Manager by clicking Start>Run
2. In the Run dialog box, type "devmgmt.msc" (without the " "), and click OK:
3. In the Device manager, click the + next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand the list.
4. Your M-Audio device will appear as "USB Audio Device" when using the Microsoft-class driver; right-click on "USB Audio Device" and select Properties.
5. Select the Driver tab.
If the Driver Provider is Microsoft, this means Windows is using the class-compliant driver instead of the M-Audio driver.
6. Click Update Driver
7. Choose No, not this time:
8. Choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced):
9. Choose Don't search I will choose the driver to install:
10. Click to select your M-Audio device.
Note: If your M-Audio device does not appear, click "Cancel", disconnect the device, and reinstall the driver
11. Click Next and Windows will load the M-Audio driver for your device.
You may be notified that the driver being installed has not passed Windows Logo Testing. Click “Continue Anyway” to proceed with the installation.
12. When you receive the message "Windows has finished installing the software", click "Finish".
Open the M-Audio Control Panel for your device and verify that it shows "connected", indicating that the M-Audio drivers are loaded and your device is ready to use.