Text size [-] [+]
This is a quick walkthrough on how to setup your M-Audio audio and MIDI devices in Cakewalk Sonar. Before proceeding, you must install the latest drivers for your devices.
Audio Device Configuration
1. Launch Cakewalk Sonar.
2. Select Audio from the Options Menu.
3. Click the Advanced tab in the Audio Options window.
4. Click the dropdown for Driver Mode and select ASIO.
5. Click OK.
6. Since these changes will not take effect until you restart the program, chose Exit from the File menu, then launch the program again.
7. Select Audio from the Options Menu.
8. Click the Drivers tab in the Audio Options window.
9. Place a check mark in the box next to each input and output that you want to enable for use in Cakewalk Sonar.
Note: Some versions of Cakewalk do not have a check box, instead you have to highlight the appropriate "driver" by selecting it with your computer mouse.
10. Click OK.
11. Since these changes will not take effect until you restart the program chose Exit from the File menu, then launch the program again.
With the ASIO driver mode selected and the inputs/outputs of your M-Audio device enabled, you are now ready to start recording! Connect your speakers or headphones to your M-Audio sound card. You cannot use your computer speakers, or built-in sound card for output.
When recording from a mono sound source such as a single microphone or guitar, it is necessary to select the appropriate mono input to record from. From the I/O View, click to select the corresponding mono input on your M-Audio device.
If your audio interface does not feature hardware direct monitoring, (Audiophile USB, JamLab, Transit), or if you wish to monitor with software effects, you will need to enable input monitoring (Input Echo).
To enable input monitoring, click the "Input Echo" button to the right of the track's record button.
If your device features hardware direct monitoring and you enable Input Echo in Sonar, you will need to disable the hardware direct monitoring of your M-Audio device to avoid doubling your monitored signal. Please refer to the user guide for your M-Audio device for how to enable/disable hardware direct monitoring.
MIDI Device Configuration
1. Select MIDI Devices from the Options Menu
2. Place a check mark in the box next to each MIDI input and output that you want to enable for use in Cakewalk Sonar.
3. Click OK.
* This tutorial was created using Sonar 6 Producer Edition, however, the setup procedure is similar for other Cakewalk products. For more information on configuring and recording with Sonar, please consult the Sonar User Guide, Sonar Online Support, or contact Cakewalk's Technical Support.