Text size [-] [+]
Black Box Mac OS X Installation Instructions
Attention: The M-Audio Black Box is class-compliant in Mac OS X which means that you get basic audio Input- and Output functionality by simply connecting the device to your computer and without installing any driver. However, some additional features are only available once the provided Mac OS X driver has been installed on your computer. This document describes how to install this driver in order to access the advanced functions as described in the Black Box manual. The available M-Audio driver is also needed if you intend to use the Black Box with Pro Tools M-Powered.
Do not connect the Black Box to your computer yet! The driver installer should be run first!
1. Download the latest M-Audio Black Box driver for Mac OS X from the M-Audio driver download site and save it to your desktop.
2. The file you are downloading is in "Disk Image" (extension "dmg") format. This means that once the download is complete, your Mac should automatically launch the file and create a virtual drive on your desktop - you will now see two new icons on the Desktop.
Immediately after this, the following finder window will open automatically.
3. If this is the first time you install an M-Audio Black Box driver on your system, please skip to step 7 of this guide now. If a Black Box driver was previously installed on your system, it has to be removed before you can successfully install the new driver. Please double-click "M-Audio Black Box Uninstaller" and follow the instructions on screen.
4. When prompted, enter your administrator name and password to continue with the driver removal.
5. Restart your computer to complete the driver removal.
6. After your computer is fully restarted, double-click on the downloaded Disk Image (dmg) file. This will bring you back to the content of the virtual drive and show you the same two icons (M-Audio Black Box.pkg/uninstaller) displayed further above.
7. Double-click the file named “M-Audio Black Box.pkg”. The driver installation starts and displays the message below. Click "Continue".
8. Click "Continue" in the welcome screen of the installation program.
9. The following screen will give important information about the driver you are installing. Click "Continue" after you are done reading this document.
10. Carefully read the license agreement, then click "Continue".
11. Click on the "Agree" button to continue.
12. Select the hard drive you want to install the driver to. A green arrow will appear over the selected hard drive. Then click "Continue".
13. Click "Install" - the driver files will be copied to your computer. .
14. You will have to enter your Administrator name and password. Click "OK" once your done.
15. A message will appear informing you that the computer needs to be restarted at the end of this installation. Click "Continue Installation".
16. The installer informs you that the software (driver) was successfully installed. Click "Restart".
17. Don't connect the Black Box to your computer while it is shutting down. Wait until your computer is in the process of starting up, then connect your Black Box to an available USB port on your computer and connect its' power supply. Alternatively, you can wait until the computer is fully started and power up the Black Box then.
IMPORTANT: Connect the Black Box directly to your computer! Do not use a USB hub or USB port on your Apple Keyboard.
Your Black Box is now ready to be used.
18. Connect outputs 1 and 2 of your M-Audio Black Box to your (amplified) speakers, mixer, or other amplification device; or connect your headphones to the headphone output jack so you can hear the output of the device. Connect an electric guitar to the Black Box's guitar input jack.
Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a new "M-Audio Black Box" icon is placed in System Preferences. Click this icon to launch your Black Box's control panel. If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, a message "A device is connected. Settings will be applied to it immediately." will be displayed on the bottom of the Black Box control panel.