Text size [-] [+]
ProFire 610 & 2626 Installation Instructions for Windows XP*
Do not connect your M-Audio ProFire interface to your computer yet! The driver must be installed first!
If you are updating the driver on a system where your M-Audio ProFire 610 or 2626 is already installed, please shut down and disconnect your device before proceeding.
Note: At this time, the ProFire 610 & 2626 drivers cannot be installed on a system that has another M-Audio FireWire Series device installed. These devices include FireWire Audiophile, FireWire Ozonic, FireWire Solo, FireWire 410, FireWire 1814, NRV10, ProFire Lightbridge, and ProjectMix I/O. Currently, you must uninstall the existing M-Audio FireWire Series Driver before installing the ProFire drivers.
In addition, please remember that you should never "hot-plug" your FireWire interface.
1. Download the latest driver for your M-Audio ProFire interface from our driver download page and save it to your desktop. Double-click the file to launch it.
If this is your first installation of an M-Audio ProFire 610 or 2626 driver on your computer, please skip to Step 3 of this guide.
If an M-Audio ProFire driver is currently installed on your system, it will need to be removed before a new driver can be installed. In this case, launching the installer file should bring you to the screen shown below. Click "Next" to uninstall the drivers.
2. Once this process is complete, you will be informed that the "Uninstall completed successfully". Click "Finish" to close this application.
3. Double-click the downloaded driver installation file (again). The following window will open:
4 . Click "Next". The License Agreement window will appear (see below):
5. Carefully read the license agreement, then put the radio button next to "I accept the terms of the license agreement", click "Next" to continue, and "Install" in the window that appears below.
6. At various points in this installation process, you may be notified that the driver being installed has not passed Windows Logo Testing. Click “Continue Anyway” to proceed with the installation.
7. Once the drivers have been installed successfully, choose "Yes, I want to shutdown my computer now." and click "Finish".
8. Make sure the computer is completely shut down and turned off, then connect the FireWire cable between your M-Audio ProFire device and your computer's FireWire port. Also connect the included AC power supply at this time*.
* Note: For improved performance, it is advised to use the power adapter with the Profire 610 even when it has access to bus power.
4pin FireWire port as found on PC laptops
6pin FireWire port as found on Mac & PC desktop computers
9. Make sure the power button on your M-Audio ProFire 2626 audio interface is pushed IN, then turn on your computer.
10 . When the computer finishes booting up, it will display a “Found New Hardware” window. Select the radio button for "No, not this time" and click "Next."
11. "Install the software automatically" is already checked. Leave it like that and click "Next". The driver files will now be copied to your computer. Again, click "Continue Anyway" whenever you see a "Windows Logo Testing" message during this installation.
12. Click "Finish" when you see the following screen:
13. Connect the outputs 1 and 2 of your M-Audio ProFire interface to your speakers, mixer, or other amplification device so you can hear the output of the device.
Once you have completed the installation procedure above, a small gray controller knob icon (shown below) will be visible in your system tray. Click this icon to open the M-Audio ProFire control panel.
This control panel can also be opened by double-clicking the M-Audio ProFire icon in the Windows Control Panel when Classic View is enabled:
If you have completed both the software and hardware installation properly, the control panel will open without problems.
* Home and Professional Edition only. Windows Media Center Edition is not supported.